Monday, January 26, 2009

Avalanche Safety Course


a snow saw!!!!


After travelling in the backcountry around the Wasatch and tempting my fate with avalanches, i decided to get myself educated. i took an Avalanche 1 safety course this weekend (there are 3 levels of saviness). we spent 2 days and one evening in lectures, field work, and a tour into the mountains. we had a "lovely" weekend here- with 30 inches of new snow predicted to fall in the mountains over the 2 days, and not a bit of sunshine, and wet snow falling every second we were outdoors. i came home sopping wet each night. boo. i hate being wet and cold. however, the class was invaluable. priceless. and i feel like a totally different back country skier now. i am so glad i took the class, as now i feel i can travel more safely through avalanche terrain, and do my best and make sure my partners do their best to avoid avalanches. i think this class is MANDATORY for those wanting to backcountry tour. i took it through Utah Mountain Adventures. I'd highly recommend them- the guides were fantastic and the curriculum well planned. okay, enough of my new soap box of avalanche safety. but seriously, consider it.

No comments: