Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Away from work


I am probably most proud of this climb, Scar Face, 5.11. The two hills in the background are called The Six Shooters. I love this Wild West!!

I took myself down to Indian Creek in southern utah in october to do some climbing. a couple of the partners i was going to meet couldn't end up making it, but eric met these really great guys in salt lake (who were friends of friends from washington) who were also headed the same direction. i met up with them for a few days before eric could make it down for the weekend. we had a blast! eric and i have spent a few weekends in indian creek over the past two years, and we really enjoy the climbing there. however, it is very hard- harder than most climbing b/c of the steepness of the rock and the parallel cracks that form in it. if the crack isn't big enough or small enough for your particular hand size the climb can be extremely challenging. this was the first time down there that i felt i could actually climb!

my friend lacy also came down to try out crack climbing. we had some good times (that's all i'll say Lacy!). indian creek has a special place for me b/c it is so....utah. so desert. so why we came out here. it is positioned just outside canyonlands national park and is some of the most beautiful wild terrain i've ever seen. camping there, sharing the camp fires, the meals, the beauty are what make it so special. the climbing is mostly secondary. i had a great time with quite a few friends coming and going in the few days i was there. Wes and BJ were the two guys i climbed with first, then lacy, then eric and my friend Liz came down.


Me and Lacy after our great day of climbing together. The weather was great-especially for lat-ish October, but sometimes the heat can wear you out! we look pretty beat in this pic. we had just climbed Pente, 5.11.


BJ, me and Wes. i don't know what had just happened but I'm laughing at something. these guys were hilarious!


me and Eric at camp


This climb was hard! It was too small for my whole hand to fit in so i was trying to make my fingers fit but they kept rattling around. Coyne Crack, 5.11+


me on Kool Kat, 5.11.

5 comments:

jlo said...

Wow Polly. Cindy and I are so amazed at how much you and Eric have progressed since leaving AR. Makes Horseshoe Canyon look like child's play. We want to come out in the future and get some instruction, buy some equipment, so we can climb back here in AR.

Be safe.

Joy Joy said...

Dang, girl! I'll be following you during Thanksgiving in the Creek! You are looking so studly!!

. said...

Polly!!!!

This is Kari and I'm so excited I've found your blog. Please send me your email and physical address. I have a letter to send to you and want to catch up. I miss you!

Kari

. said...

Oh I forgot! My email is stocktonkari@gmail.com....

Kari :)

Annie Pfriem said...

Polly,

Sweet stories & pictures of the creek :0)
Did you get my e-mail about Sahale's b-day party on 12/1/06?
Hope to see you there!!
Annie:o)