Monday, December 18, 2006

thanksgiving pictures

These are some pictures from our thanksgiving climbing trip. they are all out of order and backwards b/c i can't quite figure out blogger's picture upload-er just yet.

Birchler- this one's for you! katie was trying to take a picture of our bivi(i thinki...), but i was also trying to go the bathroom at the same time. It was an experience!

This is the line that we climbed. About 800 feet.


Walking back to the car after the 3 days of climbing.


Mark, Katie, Eric, and i at the top of the climb!!


Zion Canyon, the road runs down this narrow water and wind carved geological wonder. the people in the cars would lean out and yell at us things like, "don't fall". that really helped.


It's a long way down! this is the view to the bottom of the canyon from our overnight ledge (bivi ledge in climbing lingo)


Me leading the first pitch off of the bivi ledge.

Katie, Eric and I at a belay anchor about 200 feet up


Katie and I waking up after a night of sleeping on the port-a-ledge


Me in the early morning, Angel's landing in the background. I look tired. it was a long night b/c i was in the middle of a nasty cold.


Jugging up our fixed lines early on Day 2. "jugging up a fixed line" means, using rope clamps, we haul ourselves up a rope we attached to an anchor the day before. you can see a second group here starting the same climb we are doing.

This is a view of Zion Canyon from our over night ledge at pitch 5- around 600 ft.

Me and Eric at a belay anchor- Angel's Landing is in the background.

First move off the ground- a hook placement! yikes!


I just fell! don't worry mom, the rope caught me!


Mark, Katie, and I before starting Touchstone, Zion Nat'l Park


Katie and I at a belay- you can barely see the scrub bushes at dots in the distance.

4 comments:

Annie Pfriem said...

Your pictures are great from Zion, thanks for posting them!
I also enjoyed your thoughts and emotions on big wall climbing.
I promise I'll update my blog here in the next day or so with more Sahale pictures!

Annie Pfriem said...

Love the photos from Zion!
I also enjoyed reading your thoughts & emotions on big wall climbing.
I promise I'll post a new blog in the next day or so....

Josh Pfriem said...

Fun pics guys!

Josh Pfriem said...

Fun pics guys!